By: Annie Rosario
Nothing screams the holidays to me like baking an insane amount of cookies! These Orange Hazelnut Snowball Cookies are one of the many recipes that come out of my oven during the holiday season. They are a personal family favorite and are super easy to make. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
2 cups Hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Zest of ½ of one medium orange
16 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cardamom, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a frying pan, lightly toast hazelnuts for roughly 5 minutes. Be sure to move the hazelnuts around in the pan so they do not burn. Let cool and finely chop nuts.
- Whisk together the chopped nuts, flour and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer cream together the granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl. Once combined, add in the vanilla, orange zest, cardamom and salt. Add the flour mixture until combined.
- Divide dough and form 1” balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Refrigerate cookies before baking.*
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bottom edges of cookies are golden brown and tops are lightly browned.
- Let cool completely. Once cooled, place the confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and thoroughly coat each cookie in the confectioners’ sugar. Place them directly into the Prepara Latchlok storage container until ready to enjoy!
*Note: You can also place the 1” balls of dough into the Prepara Latchlok containers and freeze until ready to bake.