5 Reasons Why a Carbon Monoxide Detector is a Must-Have in Your Kitchen
Posted: Dec 15 2017
Carbon monoxide kills about 200 people every year and injures another 5,000. Without a detector, you will never know it's there. Let's look at reasons why you must have a carbon monoxide detector in your kitchen.
1. Colorless, odorless, tasteless and toxic
You can't see it, smell it, taste it, hear it or feel it, but if it builds up in your home, it can injure or kill you. A carbon monoxide sensor can detect this deadly gas and alert you to its presence while the level is still low enough not to be a danger to you.
2. Produced by things you might not know
You might have brushed off needing a carbon monoxide detector because you don't have gas appliances in your home. But carbon monoxide is produced by many things, including:
Fireplaces and woodstoves
Fuel-fired furnaces (non-electric, including oil)
3. Your garage is attached to your house
You may think that because there's a door between the house and the garage, you're safe from the carbon monoxide that comes from the cars parked there. Opening the overhead door for ventilation may not be enough to prevent carbon monoxide from entering the home. The kitchen is often right by the garage, so a detector there can let you know if there's a danger.
4. The symptoms are very general
At deficient levels, there may be no symptoms. Smokers are exposed to carbon monoxide daily and experience no symptoms. Beyond that, the symptoms include a mild headache, increasing to a severe headache nausea. There may be fatigue or dizziness. Signs continue to intensify until unconsciousness followed by death. A detector is the only way to ensure you know if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
5. People with heart or lung problems in the home
Unborn babies, infants, young children, older folks, and people with heart and lung problems are thought to be more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning than others. Protecting them from the dangers can only be done with a detector.
Carbon monoxide is a silent and deadly threat to your family. By having a carbon monoxide detector in your kitchen, you can cook and enjoy your home, confident that your health and lives are protected. It's an inexpensive and simple method of protection.