What do Mother’s Day and Cinco de Mayo have in common, other than the fact that they are both in the month of May? Family. Mother’s Day is a time to honor our moms as the superwomen they are. There’s no better way to do that than to bring the family together around the dinner table, sharing stories and giving thanks to the women in our lives who have made a difference. A Taco Dinner is a festive, interactive and fun way to share a meal. And it’s easy to prepare, so mom can relax and enjoy Mother’s Day, Cinco de Mayo or any other day of year while the rest of the family does the cooking.
Because tacos are so versatile, you can literally feed everyone with taco night. Vegetarians, just stick with the veggies or tofu. Meat lovers, go to town on the protein. Gluten free? Skip the flour tortillas and opt for corn or make a taco salad.
The Prepara Taco Gift Set is a great way to get started on Taco night, as well as the rest of the Prepara Taco Collection.
For the Taco Filling
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes optional
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 pounds ground turkey, beef, shrimp, tofu, or meat substitute of choice
- Shredded lettuce
- Salsa or taco sauce
- Shredded cheddar Monterey Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced avocados
- 12 taco shells approximately
- Low-fat or regular sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt, cornstarch, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne or red pepper flakes, if using, in a small bowl or plastic container. Blend well.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and place it over medium-high heat. Add the turkey or beef and cook, stirring and making sure to really break it up into small crumbles, until it is browned throughout, about 5 minutes. Drain off any liquid. Add the spice mixture and cook stirring, until you can smell all of the spices, about 1 minute. Add 3⁄4 cup of water, and stir until the water is mostly evaporated, the meat is evenly coated with the spices, and there is still a little bit of liquid in the pan, about 4 minutes.
- To serve, place your choice of toppings in the Sectional Taco Tray. Heat the taco shells on a baking sheet (or right on the oven rack, whichever you prefer) in the oven until warm and toasty, about 5 minutes. Transfer the meat to the Taco Bowl. Place the taco shells in the Tortilla Savor, and cover them with a napkin or clean dish towel to keep them warm, setting them out with the bowls of toppings. Serve everyone, using the Taco Carousel, or let everyone serve themselves, using the Taco Spoons, Multi Taco Holder and Taco Tray.
For more info on the Prepara Taco Collection, click here.